LEADERSHIP AND FOLLOWERSHIP PRESENTATION: SECTION 1
An important part of mastering any topic in social science (and leadership is such a topic) is being able to evaluate how and why an observed practice, or set of witnessed behaviors and interactions among people, led to intended outcomes or not. The key to your evaluation will be to use relevant, documented best practices and theoretical frameworks about leadership and followership to support your evaluations. For example, it is one thing to have an opinion about why someone is an effective leader; it is quite another to be able to explain how and why they are effective, using leadership knowledge to support your reasoning.
During the next 3 weeks, you will develop and formalize a presentation based on the following scenario:
You have been asked by your manager to present at this year’s annual Dynamic Leadership conference. The subject of your presentation is on followership and how it contributes to effective leadership in a business context.
The basic outline for this presentation will include three sections: Section 1: Followership Defined
Section 2: The Leader-Follower Interaction
Section 3: Traits of Leadership and Followership
In each of the next 3 weeks, you will complete and submit one section of the presentation. Each section will include not only the slides for the presentation but a completed speaker notes section that will serve as the script for your presentation. For the final presentation, due in Week 6, you will need to provide the completed PowerPoint slide deck (with script for all three sections).
For this week’s Assignment, you will begin by completing Section 1 of the PowerPoint presentation. In addition to the slide content, you will also need to include text in the speaker notes section of each slide that would serve as the script you would use to deliver this presentation to a group of people. As you prepare your presentation and script, be sure to cover all items outlined for Section 1, including the incorporation of references to appropriate academic sources, such as those found in the Learning Resources or those in the Walden Library.
Submit Section 1 of your presentation and script. Be sure you are fully addressing the following in 3–5 slides, excluding references:
Section 1: Followership Defined
Identify the qualities and behaviors of followers who contribute to the success of an organization.
Using at least one example from your professional life, analyze how leaders can draw value from their followers.
Summarize the responsibilities of followers in an age in which the complexities of leadership and pace of change are ever increasing.
Expert Solution Preview
Section 1: Followership Defined
Good afternoon everyone. Thank you for being here today. My name is [Your Name] and I have been asked to present on the topic of followership and its contribution to effective leadership in a business context. In this section, we will be exploring the qualities and behaviors of followers who contribute to the success of an organization, analyzing how leaders can draw value from their followers using a professional example, and summarizing the responsibilities of followers in a fast-paced and complex leadership environment.
Title: Followership Defined
– Define followership as the actions, behaviors, and attitudes of individuals who work under the guidance and direction of a leader to achieve organizational goals.
Title: Qualities and Behaviors of Effective Followers
– Commitment: Effective followers are committed to the organization and its goals. They demonstrate dedication and loyalty in their work and support the vision set by their leaders.
– Initiative: Effective followers take initiative and are proactive in seeking solutions and improvements. They identify opportunities for growth and contribute their ideas and suggestions to benefit the organization.
– Adaptability: Effective followers are adaptable and flexible in response to changing circumstances and challenges. They are open to new ideas, willing to learn, and can adjust their approach to meet evolving needs.
– Collaboration: Effective followers are team players who value collaboration and cooperation. They actively engage with others, communicate effectively, and contribute to a positive and inclusive work environment.
Title: Drawing Value from Followers
– Leaders can draw value from their followers in various ways. One example from my professional life is when my department was tasked with implementing a new system. As the leader, I recognized the expertise and knowledge of my team members. By involving them in the decision-making process, allowing them to contribute their ideas and insights, we were able to develop a more effective and efficient implementation strategy. This not only improved the system, but also increased the team’s commitment and motivation to its success.
– By valuing the unique perspectives and strengths of their followers, leaders can tap into their knowledge and skills, foster innovation and creativity, and ultimately achieve better outcomes.
Title: Responsibilities of Followers in a Complex Leadership Environment
– In an age where the complexities of leadership and the pace of change are ever increasing, followers have significant responsibilities. These include:
1. Active engagement: Followers need to actively engage in their work, staying informed and updated about organizational changes, industry trends, and best practices. This allows them to contribute effectively and adapt to evolving needs.
2. Continuous learning: Followers must embrace a growth mindset and continuously seek opportunities for learning and development. They need to expand their knowledge, skills, and abilities to keep up with the demands of the dynamic business environment.
3. Accountability: Followers are responsible for their own actions and outcomes. They need to take ownership of their tasks, meet deadlines, and deliver high-quality work. By being accountable, followers contribute to the overall success of the organization.
In conclusion, followership is a crucial aspect of effective leadership in a business context. Followers who demonstrate commitment, initiative, adaptability, and collaboration contribute to the success of an organization. By drawing value from their followers, leaders can harness their expertise and insights to achieve better outcomes. In an age of increasing complexities and rapid change, followers have responsibilities to actively engage, continuously learn, and be accountable. Thank you for your attention, and we will now move on to Section 2 of our presentation.
(Reference: Provide appropriate citations to academic sources used in the presentation)