(SOLVED) Discuss information that can be gained by inspection?
Discuss information that can be gained by inspection? What information can be gained by olfaction? Why is palpation usually performed by advanced practice nurses rather than by nurses in daily practice at the bedside?
Expert preview answer
Expert solution :-
Here we have to discuss what information we get in inspection and olfaction and why papation usually performed by advanced nurse.
1) Inspection: It is a component of physical examination in which mainly detection of abnormalities are done by only visualization. In that we are looking for
* Abnormalities in the skin like
- skin rash
- clubbing of nail
- Hair colour, texture
- Scar marks.
2) Olfaction: It is also a component of physical examination in which only by taking smell abnormalities are detected. In that we get
* History of personal hygiene by smelling the odor of the body.
* Mouth odor we can also get from that we can suspect poor oral hygiene.
3) Palpation is mainly done by advanced staff because in palpation various types of abnormalities are detected like size, shape and enlargement of different organs. Which can not be accurately detected by inexperienced nurse. It always needs an expertise. So, that palpation is done by advanced nurse.